What to look for when shopping for baby toys
Houston Daycare Academy
Here are some tips for choosing a toy:
- Try choosing toys that promote imagination and interaction. Added points if you can find toys that help your child work on things like fine motor or gross motor skills.
- Understand that one of the biggest dangers with toys is choking hazards. Things that are choking hazards for babies include coins, marbles, toys that can be compressed by a baby’s mouth, small balls, button batteries, beads, and balloons.
- No toys, particularly soft toys and blankets, should be placed in a sleep space with baby. The AAP says to keep soft objects and bedding out of baby’s crib until they are at least 1 year old.
- Check packaging or descriptions for age ranges on toys. Most will give you a general guideline for the ages it’s intended to suit. Beyond that, try using common sense. (That toy drone you put in your cart may be more for you than for your 5-month-old baby.)
- Remember that babies put pretty much everything in their mouths. Double check to make sure whatever you’re buying is made from natural materials whenever possible and is free from BPA and other questionable materials.
- Don’t be too concerned with toys marketed for educational purposes. The goal for babies isn’t to drill them with ABCs or facts. Instead, it’s to give opportunities for interaction and bonding.
- Include plenty of books. These will help with building imagination and thought.
- Keep an eye out for toys that may promote stereotypes. These may be related to gender or race.
Nutcrackers Daycare Academy We are a family owned and operated academy that provides children with a strong foundation to begin their lives. Our teachers are highly trained and extremely attentive to support your child’s desire to explore and discover. Our passionate staff values the relationships we have with our families and work hard to involve them in all our activities and decisions. Our facility provides an openness inside and out for a child to feel free to explore, create, and learn in a safe, loving and developmentally appropriate environment. Contact at 713-842-7796.
Daycare Academy in Houston
Academy, Children, Infants 1, Infants 2, Toddlers, Preschool, After School, Child Care & Day Care, Best Infant Day Care in Houston, Best Child Care in Houston, Childcare in Houston, Daycare & Preschool, Child Care Service Houston, Preschool Houston, Best houston preschool, educational preschool, preschool education, preschool in houston, preschool programs in houston, preschools in houston, Houston preschool, Houston Child care, Houston childcare, Houston daycare, Houston Infant Care, Houston after school care, preschool in Houston, Child care in Houston, childcare in Houston, day care in Houston, daycare in Houston